- Go on a Color Hunt. Chose a color to hunt and see how many things you can find in that color. You can also hunt for letters, words, or numbers.
- Make a Weather Graph and keep track of the sunny, rainy, snowy, and cloudy days each week. Count the days in each column and compare: more, fewer, equal
- Have your child help with the laundry and practice sorting. Have him sort by color, type of clothing (socks, shirts), owner of clothing (Dad’s, baby’s) etc.
- Spread shaving cream on the table and let your child write in it with his or her finger.
- Let your child paint or write with a Q-tip . This will strengthen muscles that help him grip a pencil.
When you read with your child...
- Let your child select the book.
- Have him hold the book correctly.
- Point to and talk about the cover.
- Point to the words as you read.
- Ask your child questions about the book and have her retell it to you.
- “ABCs Let’s Get Ready to Read” for letter names and letter sounds
- “Learn to Read” for rhyming skills, beginning sound identification and concept of word.
- For literacy and math
- For printable emergent reader books
Successful early childhood programs depend on active involvement from families and others from the community. Parents are encouraged to participate in all phases of the program by supporting program-wide activities. Federal Programs Preschool also offers workshops and other parent events throughout the year.
The Family & Educator Resource Center:
Federal Programs Preschool believes that parents are their “Child’s First Teacher” and one way the program strives to promote this is to provide an effective parent education program. Our Family & Educator Resource Center serves all Federal Programs Preschool parents and offers information regarding the following: Parent Workshops and Trainings, Adult Education Information, Community Resource Information, Computer and Internet access. Workshops are based on parent interests and requests.
The Family & Educator Resource Center is staffed with knowledgeable professionals that are experienced in working with families to assist them in determining the community resources and training that best meet their family needs and goals.
5915 Nine Mile Rd
Henrico, VA 23223
8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Monday thru Friday (during the school year)